For my CGI II class I modeled a retractable pen with Maya. Modeling each piece to scale was tedious but the end result was extremely rewarding.
Some highlights from this project include:
- Learning V-Ray rendering
- Understanding the concept Physically Based Rendering (PBR)
- Lighting the scene with a 360° HDR photo
- Making the pen look photorealistic
Some challenges I ran into were:
- Modeling the threads on the tube and grip of the pen
- Figuring out how to create chrome with V-Ray materials
- V-Ray render settings
I’m beginning to feel the power of 3D modeling and I like it a lot. I can’t wait to build my own environments and enter them with VR.